Hurricanes Announce Eight Early Signings
AMERICUS. – Hurricane Baseball head coach Bryan McLain has announced that 8 student-athletes have signed their National Letters of Intent during the early-signing period to attend Georgia Southwestern State University play for the Hurricanes in 2015.
This upcoming class features eight players from the state of Georgia.
"We are excited about this group of young men," says coach McLain. "They are all outstanding students as well as quality people who come from good families and we think they're going to be solid college baseball players. As with the previous recruiting class, we've placed an emphasis on targeting quality high school kids to get GSW Baseball on track. Coach (Nick) Tracy and Coach (Ryne) Foster have done an exceptional job addressing the needs of the program going forward with this early sign class. This is the largest early signing class that we have ever had."
The 8-member class that will enroll at GSW in August and play the 2015 season includes the following plus comments from the Hurricane coaching staff:
- Ethan Broome – 1B – Northside Warner Robins High School – Ethan is a big, physical kid with power and potential. Something we haven't had in a while. He will get an opportunity to battle for the job at 1B next year. Broome was voted Best Offensive Player Award (2013). Broome has led his team in RBI's his sophomore and junior seasons.
- Jarrod Crum – RHP – Warner Robins High School – Jarrod has a strong arm and polished mechanics. He also brings a level of physical and mental toughness to our program having been an outstanding linebacker for the Demon football team as well. Crum joined 2013 Perfect Game 2nd Team, along with 2013 Honorable Mention All-Region (2-5A).
- Jared Jones – C – Union Grove High School – We are excited Jared will be a Hurricane. He gives us another solid catching prospect with offensive tools. Jared also has the athleticism to play multiple positions. Jones hit .371 as a junior and threw out 65% of runners.
- Dakota Long – 1B – Tatnall Square Academy – Dakota is an outstanding left-handed hitter with middle of the order tools. He also comes from a successful program so he understands the commitment needed to be a winner. Long is an All-Region player both sophomore and junior seasons. Long is also a member of 2012 and 2013 GISA State Champions.
- Noah Sims – RHP – Cass High School – We are excited to get Noah into our program. He knows how to pitch and is not afraid of putting in the work necessary to improve. Sims made 17U and 18U Perfect Game Tournament teams. Sims is a member of 2013 Sub-Region Championship team.
- Hunt Smith – OF – Houston County High School – Hunt is a quality left-handed hitter with plus tools. We are excited to see his abilities mature in our program over the coming years. Smith is a member of 2007 Little League World Series Champions. Smith is also a 2013 All-Tournament Team Perfect Game World Series in Jupiter.
- Kyle Spinks – RHP – Union Grove High School – Kyle is a big physical kid with command of three pitches. He has also competed against quality competition at Union Grove which will serve him well making the transition to the Peach Belt. Spinks is 7-4 with 3.5 era during 2013 season. Spinks was 2013 Honorable Mention All-Region.
- Hill Thomas – C – Darton College – Our lone JUCO signee, Hill brings a willingness to take a leadership role which is something valued at the coaching position. He is also a solid offensive player from the left side. Thomas is an All-Region performer at Early County High School. Thomas is expected to be a significant contributor for the 2014 Cavaliers who finished 48-9 in 2013.
After a 15-31 season last year and with five wins in the Peach Belt Conference, the Hurricanes look for improvement from their new cast as well as from the crew of returners. The Spring Season starts Feb. 1 in VSU Invitational at Valdosta, Ga. The Hurricanes first home game will be Feb. 12 against Shorter University at 5:00 p.m.