AMERICUS - The Georgia Southwestern tennis teams were unable to defeat Lander University at the Susan K. Smith Tennis Complex on Sunday afternoon. The GSW women lost 6-3. The men were defeated 9-0.
LANDER 6, GSW WOMEN 3
The Georgia Southwestern women's tennis team lost 6-3 to Lander on Sunday afternoon in a Peach Belt Conference match at the Susan K. Smith Tennis Complex.
The Lady Hurricanes fall to 8-5 overall and 1-4 in the PBC. Lander improves to 10-2 overall, 3-2 in conference play.
GSW trailed 2-1 heading into singles action, but could only claim victories at No. 1 and No. 6 singles en route to their third-consecutive conference defeat.
Leady Cuellar was the lone GSW player to win on both the doubles and singles sides on Sunday.
Cuellar paired with Ginny Jones at No. 1 doubles and the two were victorious over Aurelia Ruffat and Cayce Bradley, 8-6.
Cuellar then met Brandi Cordell at No. 1 singles and won 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-5) to improve her singles mark to 7-5 in 2011.
Melinda Vansant won at No. 6 singles for GSW, 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (11-9) over Melanise Newbold to improve her singles record to 10-2 this spring.
1. Leady Cuellar (GSW-W) def. Brandi Cordell (LUW) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Aurelia Ruffat (LUW) def. Ginny Jones (GSW-W) 6-2, 6-0
3. Eliza Adusumilli (LUW) def. Kalie Douberly (GSW-W) 6-2, 6-0
4. Nicola James (LUW) def. Brooke Anglin (GSW-W) 6-2, 6-1
5. Cayce Bradley (LUW) def. Mollie McGowan (GSW-W) 6-2, 6-0
6. Melinda Vansant (GSW-W) def. Melanise Newbold (LUW) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (11-9)
1. Leady Cuellar/Ginny Jones (GSW-W) def. Aurelia Ruffat/Cayce Bradley (LUW) 8-6
2. Eliza Adusumilli/Nicola James (LUW) def. Kalie Douberly/Melinda Vansant (GSW-W) 8-4
3. Brandi Cordell/Melanise Newbold (LUW) def. Brooke Anglin/Mollie McGowan (GSW-W) 8-1
#16 LANDER 9, GSW MEN 0
The No. 16 Lander men's tennis team remained unbeaten Sunday afternoon when it defeated GSW, 9-0, in a Peach Belt Conference match at the Susan K. Smith Complex.
The Hurricanes fall to 4-9 overall and 0-3 in the Peach Belt. Lander improves to 9-0 overall, 2-0 in the PBC.
1. #19 Paul-Henri Arrigoni (LU) def. V. Pinones-Haltenhoff (GSW) 6-0, 6-4
2. #40 Henrik Willers (LU) def. Matt Vansant (GSW) 6-3, 6-3
3. Oscar Perman (LU) def. Ryan Bartz (GSW) 6-4, 6-2
4. Oscar Axelsson (LU) def. Stephen Moore (GSW) 6-0, 6-3
5. Christopher Mattsson (LU) def. Chris Eastwood (GSW) 6-0, 6-1
6. Ross Armstrong (LU) def. Tommy Cangelosi (GSW) 6-1, 6-3
1. Oscar Perman/Henrik Willers (LU) def. V. Pinones-Haltenhoff/Chris Eastwood (GSW) 8-2
2. Oscar Axelsson/Paul-Henri Arrigoni (LU) def. Ryan Bartz/Tommy Cangelosi (GSW) 8-2
3. Christopher Mattsson/Ross Armstrong (LU) def. Stephen Moore/Matt Vansant (GSW) 8-0
Both GSW teams return to the courts on Friday to host Fort Valley State at 2 p.m.